For those of you that have teenagers, you may have found them hooked on the Outer Banks TV series. This Netflix teen drama is a lively series that tackles love triangles, friendship, betrayal, piracy, money, and the social divide between rich and poor. So where was Outer Banks filmed? Here’s a hint. It wasn’t filmed in Outer Banks, North Carolina.
Where Was Outer Banks Filmed?
The Outer Banks filming location is in Charleston, South Carolina. It was originally set to be filmed in North Carolina. But Netflix ultimately moved the production and filming location to Charleston, South Carolina. Some of the Outer Banks filming locations include:
- James Island
- Johns Island
- Kiawah Island
- Morris Island Lighthouse
- The Old Village in Mount Pleasant
- and Pitt Street
The production team for Outer Banks also took advantage of existing sets in Wilmington such as Screen Gems Studios, EUE/Screen Gems Studio, and the North Carolina Film Studios to help bring their vision of the Outer Banks of North Carolina to life. Overall, the show featured some of the best scenery and natural beauty that North Carolina has to offer.
The Outer Banks Story
The story takes place on the fictional Kildare Island. It follows the adventures of a group of teenagers that are looking for answers about someone’s missing father and a buried treasure that is rumored to be located along the Outer Banks.
The focus of the story is around John B and three of his friends who are being chased by the law. John B’s father spent 20 years searching for a lost treasure. After a major hurricane, the friends find the Royal Merchant shipwreck that holds a clue to help solve the lifelong hunt.
The series was created by Josh and Jonas Pate who visited the Outer Banks when they were children.
The Cast of Outer Banks
The Outer Banks cast includes the following:
- Chase Stokes (John B. Routledge)
- Madison Baily (Kiara Carrera)
- Rudy Pankow (J.J. Maybank)
- Charles Esten (Ward Cameron)
- Caroline Arapoglou (Rose)
- Julia Antonelli (Wheezie)
- Carlacia Grant (Cleo)
- E. Roger Mitchell (Hayward)
- Fiona Palomo (Sofia)
- Madelyn Cline (Sarah Cameron)
- J.D. (Pope Heyward)
- Austin North (Topper Thornton)
- Drew Starkey (Rafe Cameron)
- Cullen Moss (Deputy Shoupe)
- Deion Smith (Kelce)
- Marland Burke (Mike Carrera)
- and Elizabeth Mitchel (Limbrey)
Outer Banks was directed by Jonas Pate, who is a North Carolina native and alumnus of UNC School of the Arts. He also co-created the show alongside his brother, Josh Pate. Additionally, he directed 5 episodes throughout the first season of Outer Banks.
Did Outer Banks Win Any Awards?
The series won the People’s Choice Award (2021) for Favorite Drama TV Star. It was also nominated for many other People’s Choice Awards. It received the MTV Movie + TV Award in 2021 for the best kiss between Chase Stokes and Madelyn Cline.
Can You Visit Iconic Places Where The Outer Banks is Filmed?
There are a few places in the show that you can actually visit. If you plan to visit the area, be sure to make a stop at the Old Village Historic District in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. That’s where you’ll find Pitt Street and The Wreck Restaurant where Kie works in the series. And don’t forget to stop off at the Morris Island Lighthouse in Charleston Harbor.
Fun Facts About Charleston
Charleston, North Carolina is a small town located within Brunswick County. If you’re planning a visit to this charming coastal town, here are some fun facts about Charleston:
- Charleston, SC actually produces more peaches than Georgia.
- The barbeque was born in South Carolina. the Native Americans showed colonists how to cook over an open flame.
- South Carolina actually has a wild monkey colony on Morgan Island. It is home to a colony of over 3,000 Rhesus monkeys.
- Edgar Allan Poe’s The Gold Bug was inspired by his experience living in Charleston.
Unique Places in Charleston
There are many ways to take in the sights in Charleston. Start by:
Checking out paranormal activity in the Old Exchange dungeon. You can even go on ghost tours!
Next, you might go to the…
Magnolia Plantation & Gardens which has been open for over 150 years. It has a small zoo and a maze located on the 464-acre property.
Take a kayak tour to visit the dolphins in the area.
And for the truly adventurous…
Check your balance at the Wild Blue Ropes Adventure Park. This is an outdoor adventure park suitable for all ages and abilities.
Things to Do in Charleston
The best time to visit Charleston is between March and May and between September to November. This is when the weather isn’t as stifling hot as in the summer months. Some activities to consider during your visit are:
- Palmetto Carriage Works is a horse-drawn carriage ride that you can take to tour historic areas.
- The Fort Sumter Tours include a trip around the harbor, learning about the history of the fort, exploring the grounds of the fort, the museum, and more.
- The Charleston Haunted Jail Tour housed Charleston’s most infamous criminals. It operated from 1802 to 1939 and most of the original structure remains intact. It’s been featured on Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures.
Frequently Asked Questions
Was Outer Banks actually filmed in Outer Banks?
The Outer Banks is a real place. They are barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina. The filming actually took place in Charleston, South Carolina.
Is Outer Banks based on a true story?
Tanny is fictional. Denmark Vesey was real and was a formerly enslaved person from Charleston, South Carolina with a similar story. He purchased his freedom by winning a lottery. However, he didn’t survive a shipwreck or free other enslaved people.
Where is John B’s house in Outer Banks?
The house is located on John’s Island. It’s only viewable by boat.
If you love the TV series and the beach, you won’t be disappointed in Charleston, South Carolina. There’s more to it than shrimp, fried green tomatoes, and grits. Have you visited South Carolina?
Additional Film Location Resources
If you are looking for more film location informations, insider information and behind the scenes footage of your favorite movies or show – here are some additional posts for you to check out:
- Where Was Breaking Bad Filmed?
- Where Was The White Lotus Filmed?
- Where Was Sweet Home Alabama Filmed?