The White Lotus is an HBO TV series created in 2021. It’s got kind of a Fantasy Island vibe because it’s filmed on a tropical island. But that’s probably where the similarities end. This series isn’t about making your fantasies come true. It’s a dark comedy that focuses on the employees as well as the guests. So where was The White Lotus filmed? Interestingly, Season 1 and 2 are filmed in different countries. This article is focused on the Season 1 location.
Where Was The White Lotus Filmed?
White Lotus was mainly filmed on Maui in Hawaii which is one of my favorite places to travel to. The beautiful scenery of the island was captured by cinematographers Tobias Datum and Damon Wolf. The team used a variety of techniques to capture the beauty of Hawaii including aerial shots, drone footage, and hand-held camera work.
The cast also filmed on Lana’i Island where they shot some beach scenes as well as on the north shore of Oahu where they filmed surfing sequences.
Fans can look forward to a change of scenery coming up. Season 2 is filmed in beautiful Sicily, Italy which is another fabulous place I have travelled to.
Like our Facebook page for more great content!
What is White Lotus About?
White Lotus is the latest HBO series that chronicles the lives of two families in Hawaii where they struggle with their relationships, their connections to each other, and the island itself.
The show is set on an idyllic Hawaiian beach where two generations of women, mother and daughter, fight for control over their lives and where they will go next.
The cast of Season 1 includes Murray Bartlett, Connie Britton, Alexandra Daddario, Jennifer Coolidge, Fred Hechinger, and Jake Lacy.
The Season 2 cast includes a few new faces. Be on the lookout for F. Murray Abraham, Adam DiMarco, Meghann Fahy, Tom Hollander, and Beatrice Granno. Jennifer Coolidge fans need not worry though. She’s also in Season 2.
Other Tropical Filming Locations
- Where Was The Lost City Filmed
- Where Was Jurassic Park Filmed
- Where Was Cast Away Filmed
- Where Was Fantasy Island Filmed
Who Directed White Lotus?
Mike White wrote and directed White Lotus. You may remember Mike White in School of Rock. He played a teacher and band member. He wrote the School of Rock screenplay for the movie just so Jack Black could play his favorite music. He wrote and produced the HBO series Enlightened and wrote and co-produced Year of the Dog where he made his directorial debut.
He was also a contestant on Survivor: David vs. Goliath. He was a member of the Goliath tribe and made it to day 39.
Did White Lotus Receive Any Awards?
White Lotus was nominated for the 2021 Critics Choice Awards for Best Limited Series where it received critical acclaim and praise from critics.
So far, White Lotus received three Emmy Awards for Outstanding Directing for a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie, Outstanding Writing for a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie, and Outstanding Limited or Anthology Series for his HBO miniseries.
It received a Golden Globe Award for the Best Limited or Anthology Series or Movie and Jennifer Coolidge won a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Television Limited Series/Motion Picture.
Fun Facts About White Lotus
- Whales were a constant distraction while filming. The giant mammals would breach during shooting causing some scenes to be re-shot.
- Jennifer Coolidge’s character was written specifically for her but she almost turned it down!
- The director, Mike White, was not comfortable directing intimate scenes.
- Mike White wrote the entire show in two months all by himself.
- White Lotus was one of the first shows to be filmed in Hawaii since the pandemic started and the cast and crew had to follow strict safety protocols.
- Keala Kennelly, who plays the daughter character, Tasha, is an actual professional surfer which made filming some of the surfing scenes easier for her.
Can You Visit the Set of White Lotus?
The set of White Lotus is actually the Four Seasons Resort in Maui for Season 1. In Season 2, the set is the Four Seasons Hotel in Sicily. So technically you can stay in the hotels.
What is Maui Famous For?
Maui is the second largest island in Hawaii and is known as “The Valley Isle.” It is well known for its stunning beaches, lush rainforests and incredible views of the Pacific Ocean.
Maui is famous for its many outdoor activities such as whale watching, swimming with sea turtles and snorkeling. It is also known for its world-class golf courses, zip lines, horseback riding and other adventure activities.
It is home to the iconic Haleakalā volcano which offers stunning views of Maui’s landscape and where many people come to view the sunrise. The island is also full of waterfalls where you can take in the beauty of Hawaii’s nature.
Unique Places in Maui
1. Haleakalā National Park: Explore the volcanic crater and its amazing views of Maui’s lush landscape where you can take in the beauty of this unique place.
2. Iao Valley State Park: Enjoy the stunning views of Iao Needle where you can explore its hiking trails, gardens, and waterfalls.
3. Hana Highway: Take a scenic drive where you can stop to explore numerous black sand beaches, experience the healing powers of natural pools and visit local towns where you can learn about Hawaiian culture.
4. Lahaina: Spend a day exploring the historic town where you can enjoy art galleries, take a stroll on Front Street and visit historic sites where you can learn about Hawaiian history.
5. Makena Beach: Go for a swim where you can relax on the beach in paradise where you can take in the sound of waves crashing on the shoreline.
These are just some of the unique places where you can experience Maui’s beauty and where White Lotus was able to capture it perfectly.
Things to Do in Maui
I visited Maui many years ago and the Seven Sacred Pools definitely sticks out in my mind. You have to take a car or bus to get up there but it’s definitely worth a visit. Other things to do include:
- Taking a catamaran boat tour around part of the island. If you’re lucky, you may even see a whale or two.
- Taking part in the Gilligan’s Island Luau
- Taking a sunset cruise from Lahaina Harbor
- Going on an ATV adventure
- Scuba diving
This is just some of the many things you can do in Maui. You won’t be bored. Trust me.
Frequently Asked Questions
What resort is White Lotus Season 2 filmed at?
The main location is the San Domenico Palace, Taormina, Italy which is a Four Seasons Hotel.
Does the White Lotus resort exist?
The White Lotus is a fictional name. There is no hotel by the name White Lotus.
Maui is an incredibly beautiful place even if you’re not a White Lotus fan. There’s plenty to do and see. I’d imagine that the White Lotus series has made Maui even more popular.
Have you ever been to Maui and seen the White Lotus filming locations? What was your experience? Be sure to let me know by leaving a comment below.