Whether you have kids or not, chances are you love the Home Alone movie. This heart-warming film captures the heart and soul of Christmas. It’s got crackling fires, cold weather, snow, and Christmas everywhere. If it taught us anything it’s that kids are pretty smart. So where was Home Alone filmed? It was filmed in a place where many films were made.
Where Was Home Alone Filmed?
The movie was filmed primarily in the Chicago suburbs. The majority of exteriors were filmed in Winnetka, Illinois. The McCallister family home was actually located at 671 Lincoln Avenue. Other external scenes were shot in Evanston (another suburb of Chicago), as well as at O’Hare International Airport. Interiors were shot primarily at the Chicago studio of Twentieth Century Fox.
The iconic scene where Kevin watches Angels with Filthy Souls was filmed in a house located in Park Ridge, Illinois. Additionally, scenes set in Paris were actually filmed on location. Due to budget constraints, they were limited to various locations in and around the city.
What Was Home Alone All About?
Home Alone is a beloved Christmas classic. It tells the story of Kevin McCallister, an 8-year-old who is accidentally left behind when his family goes on vacation. While they’re away, he must defend his house from two bumbling burglars, Harry and Marv. Along the way, Kevin uses his wits and ingeniously improvised traps to outsmart his would-be attackers.
Like our Facebook page for more great content!
I managed to track down the original trailer to Home Alone thanks to Rotten Tomatoes Classic Trailers. Let’s get nostalgic and have a watch.
Who Was In The Cast of Home Alone?
Home Alone starred Macaulay Culkin in his breakthrough role as Kevin McCallister. The movie also featured some other big names. Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern portrayed the bumbling burglars Harry and Marv, while John Heard and Catherine O’Hara played Kevin’s parents.
The cast was rounded out by other stars like Devin Ratray as Buzz McCallister, and Roberts Blossom in his role as the elderly neighbor. Home Alone also featured a star-studded soundtrack with artists like John Williams, Carole King, and Run–D.M.C.
Who Directed Home Alone?
Home Alone was directed by Chris Columbus, who is best known for his work on films like Mrs. Doubtfire and Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. He was also a co-writer of the screenplay along with John Hughes who wrote some of the most beloved films of the 1980s, including The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.
Did Home Alone Receive Any Awards?
Yes, Home Alone was nominated for two Academy Awards in 1991 as indicated below. The first nomination was for Best Original Score, which was composed by John Williams. The second nomination was for Best Film Editing, done by Raja Gosnell and David Finfer.
The film also won several other awards, such as a People’s Choice Award for Favorite Family Movie, and a Saturn Award for Best Fantasy Motion Picture.
|Academy Awards (1991)
|Best Music, Original Song–John Williams, Leslie Bricusse Best Music, Original Score–John Williams
|American Comedy Awards
|Funniest Actor in a Motion Picture (leading role)–Macaulay Culkin
|BMI Film & TV Awards
|Golden Globe Awards
|Best Motion Picture– Comedy or Musical
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Comedy, or Musical–Macaulay Culkin
|Grammy Awards (1992)
|Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or for Television–John William, Leslie Bricusse
Technical Information About the Film
The movie runs for 1 hour 43 minutes.
The cameras used in the making of the film were the:
- Arriflex 35 BL4 with Zeiss Super Speed Lenses
- Arriflex 35 IIC with Cooke Speed Panchro
- Zeiss Super Speed Lenses
Box Office Details
- Home Alone Film Budget: $18,000,000
- Opening weekend: $17,081,997
- Gross (US & Canada): $285,761,243
- Gross (World): $476,684,675
6 Fun Facts About Home Alone
1. Home Alone was initially released to only half the movie theaters in the United States yet it still raked in $476.7 million.
2. The script was written by John Hughes and was his most successful movie. He finished the draft in just nine days.
3. Joe Pesci wanted Macaulay Culkin to think he was really mean so he stayed away from him when they weren’t filming to avoid any interaction.
4. The map drawn by Macaulay Culkin’s character, Kevin, was really drawn by him and used to set up the traps.
5. Though John Candy had a very small part at the end of the movie, he was the only one allowed to improvise his lines.
6. A very short 30-year old man was Macaulay Culkin’s stunt double.
Can You Visit the Set of Home Alone?
Unfortunately, the house featured in Home Alone is located in a private residential area and is not accessible to visitors. However, you can still get a feel for the filming locations by doing a drive-by of the neighborhoods where Home Alone was shot!
Additionally, many artifacts from the film are on display at Movieland Wax Museum in Buena Park, California. It’s a great way to experience the movie without having to leave your car!
Full List of Home Alone Filming Locations
- Paris, France (archive footage)
- 7 Happ Road, Northfield, Illinois (New Trier West High School Choir Scene)
- 656 Lincoln Avenue, Winnetka, Illinois (Mitch Murphy’s house)
- 671 Lincoln Avenue, Winnetka, Illinois (McCallister home)
- Grace Episcopal Church – 924 Lake Street, Oak Park, Illinois (Interior church scene)
- Grand Food Center – 606 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, Illinois, USA
- Hubbard Woods Metra Station – 1065 Gage Street, Winnetka, Illinois (railroad track bridge scene)
- O’Hare International Airport, Chicago, Illinois
- Hubbard Woods Pharmacy (Now Panera Bread Company) – 940 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, Illinois (pharmacy scene)
- Trinity United Methodist Church – 1024 W. Lake Avenue, Wilmette, Illinois (Exterior church scene)
What is Illinois Famous For?
Illinois is known for its rich history and culture. It is home to the world-famous city of Chicago, as well as several other major cities such as Springfield and Peoria.
Illinois is also the place where many other films were shot. Films such as Gone Girl, Field of Dreams, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, Fred Claus, and many more.
And let’s not forget the many sports teams out of Illinois including the Chicago Bears and Bulls in football and basketball respectively. It’s home to some of the most renowned universities in the world like Northwestern University and University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign.
Unique Places in Illinois
Illinois is full of interesting and unique places to explore. For example, the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum in Springfield houses countless artifacts from his life and presidency.
For those of you that like more unconventional vacations, here are a few ideas for you:
- The Soul Asylum, Alton
- The World’s Largest Wind Chimes, Casey
- The Leaning Tower of Pisa, Niles
- Rockmen Guardians, Rockford
- Dungeons and Dragons Park
The city of Galena has a number of historic buildings from the 1800s, including several that have been turned into museums. Plus, you can also visit the Cahokia Mounds, an archaeological site that was once home to a thriving city of Native Americans.
Finally, the Ulysses S. Grant Home in Galena is the historic house where President Grant lived during his time as a general in the Union army. It’s open for tours and has been restored to its original condition.
Things to Do in Illinois
Chances are that when you visit Illinois, you’ll land in Chicago’s O’Hare Airport. So here are a few attractions you might want to check out before you head out of the city:
- Millennium Park
- Cloud Gate: you’ve probably seen this online, at least. It’s the famous giant shiny sculpture shaped like a bean.
- Lincoln Home National Historic Site
- Frank Lloyd Wright Home & Studio: this attraction is located outside Chicago.
- 360 Chicago
These are just a few of the many attractions in Chicago and the surrounding areas.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you visit the Home Alone house?
The Home Alone house is located in north suburban Winnetka, specifically at 671 Lincoln Avenue but it’s not open to the public. It’s a private residence. Last year, the home’s owner offered fans quite the experience. A one-night-only stay was listed on Airbnb for $25 plus tax.
Was it real snow in Home Alone?
At the end of the movie where it snows outside Kevin’s house, the snow was actually mashed potato flakes.
How much did John Candy get paid for Home Alone?
John Candy was paid $414 for his cameo in Home Alone. This was a lower fee than was paid to the pizza delivery guy. He did it as a favor to director Chris Columbus and he improvised all of his dialogue.
Illinois is a great place to visit and explore. For outdoorsy types, take in the beauty of the state by going camping in Starved Rock State Park or fishing on Lake Michigan. You can also go hiking at Matthiessen State Park or take a scenic drive along the Great River Road.
Of course, Chicago is a great place to start. Have you ever spent time in Illinois? What did you enjoy most? Let me know in the comments below.
Other Movies Filmed in Illinois
Here are a few other posts that show you some additional films and series that were filmed in Chicago or at the very least.. Illinois. Check them out!