Couples Retreat was filmed in a stunning tropical location that served as the backdrop for the romantic comedy film. This 2009 comedy was filmed in a breathtaking destination that will surely make you want to pack your bags and head for the nearest airport. So where was Couples Retreat filmed? This movie was shot on a picturesque island. The film’s exotic setting provides a stunning visual feast for viewers, with its pristine turquoise waters, lush tropical landscapes, and luxurious overwater bungalows. Get ready to embark on a virtual journey to this paradise as we explore the captivating location where Couples Retreat came to life on the big screen.
What was Couples Retreat All About?
The movie revolves around four couples who embark on a trip to a beautiful tropical island called Eden Resort, with the hopes of rekindling their relationships and resolving their various issues. But things take an unexpected turn as they find out that they are required to participate in couples’ therapy sessions, which they had not anticipated. As the couples navigate through the challenges of therapy and face their own individual struggles, hilarity and drama ensue.
Where Was Couples Retreat Filmed?
The movie was primarily filmed on location in Bora Bora, a stunning island located in French Polynesia. In addition to Bora Bora, some scenes of the film were also shot in Los Angeles, California. The city provided the backdrop for the initial scenes that take place before the characters embark on their tropical retreat to Bora Bora.
Who Was In The Cast of Couples Retreat?
The cast features a talented ensemble of actors, each bringing their unique charm and comedic timing to the film. The main cast members of the movie include:
Like our Facebook page for more great content!
- Vince Vaughn as Dave
- Malin Akerman as Ronnie
- Jason Bateman as Jason
- Kristen Bell as Cynthia
- Faizon Love as Shane
- Jon Favreau as Joey
- Kristin Davis as Lucy
- Kali Hawk as Trudy
- Peter Serafinowicz as Sctanley
- Jean Reno as Marcel
- Temuera Morrison as Briggs
- Tasha Smith as Jennifer
- Carlos Ponce as Salvadore
This talented cast portrays the four couples at the center of the film, each with their own quirks, conflicts, and comedic moments as they navigate the challenges of their relationships during their tropical retreat.
Who Directed Couples Retreat?
Couples Retreat was directed by Peter Billingsley. Billingsley is an American actor, producer, and director who is best known for his role as Ralphie in the holiday classic film “A Christmas Story.” He has also been involved in various other films and TV shows as an actor, producer, and director.
Couples Retreat marked his directorial debut for a major theatrical release. As the director of Couples Retreat, Billingsley brought his creative vision to life, guiding the cast and crew in delivering a comedic and visually stunning film set in the beautiful tropical location of Bora Bora. His direction contributed to the film’s overall tone, pacing, and comedic timing, making it a memorable romantic comedy for audiences to enjoy.
Did Couples Retreat Receive Any Awards?
It was not nominated for or awarded any major industry awards. However, it was generally well-received by audiences as a comedic romantic film upon its release in 2009. The film’s ensemble cast and picturesque filming location in Bora Bora were praised, and it was commercially successful, grossing over $171 million worldwide.
Despite not receiving awards, Couples Retreat has remained a popular choice for audiences seeking light-hearted entertainment and romantic comedy fare. The film’s blend of humor, scenic location, and ensemble cast has made it a favorite among fans of the genre. While it may not have received awards recognition, Couples Retreat has found its place as an enjoyable and entertaining film for audiences to enjoy.
This movie runs for one hour and 53 minutes (113 minutes). Only one aspect ratio was used at 1.85:1.
The cameras used for filming were the Arricam Lt, Arricam ST, and the Arriflex 435. The lenses used were Cooke S4 and Angenieux Optimo lenses. In addition, Claremont cameras and lenses were also used.
Fun Facts About Couples Retreat
Here are some fun facts about the movie Couples Retreat:
The film’s screenplay was written by actors Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn, along with Dana Fox. Favreau and Vaughn had previously worked together on the film “Swingers” and teamed up again for Couples Retreat.
The cast of Couples Retreat includes real-life married couple Jon Favreau and Faizon Love, who play friends in the film. They previously worked together in the film Made and share a close friendship in real life.
The character names in the film are inspired by the actors’ real names. For example, Vince Vaughn’s character is named Dave, which is Vaughn’s real first name, and Jon Favreau’s character is named Joey, which is Favreau’s real nickname.
Can You Visit the Set of Couples Retreat?
Unfortunately, the actual film set used during production is not available for public visitation. However, you can certainly visit Bora Bora in French Polynesia. It is a popular travel destination for tourists. The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, where the cast and crew stayed during the filming, is a luxury resort that is open to guests, and visitors can enjoy the beautiful beaches, crystal-clear waters, and stunning overwater bungalows that were featured in the film.
Visitors to Bora Bora can also explore the lush tropical landscapes, go snorkeling or scuba diving in the coral-rich waters, or indulge in various water sports and activities, just like the characters in the film. While you may not be able to visit the exact film set, you can still experience the breathtaking beauty of Bora Bora, which served as the stunning backdrop for Couples Retreat.
What is Bora Bora Famous For?
Bora Bora is famous for its stunning natural beauty and luxurious overwater bungalows. Here are some of the things that Bora Bora is famous for:
- Turquoise Blue Waters: Crystal-clear, turquoise blue waters, which are teeming with marine life and vibrant coral reefs. The lagoon surrounding the island is a popular spot for swimming, snorkeling, and scuba diving, allowing visitors to experience the beauty of the underwater world.
- Overwater Bungalows: These bungalows are built on stilts over the lagoon and offer breathtaking views of the surrounding turquoise waters. These luxurious accommodations are a unique and sought-after feature of Bora Bora, providing a romantic and picturesque setting for honeymooners and couples.
- Pristine Sandy Beaches: Soft white sand that stretches along the shores of the island. The beaches offer picturesque settings for relaxation, sunbathing, and water sports, and are one of the main attractions of the island.
- Natural Beauty: Breathtaking natural beauty, with lush tropical landscapes, verdant hills, and dramatic mountain peaks. Mount Otemanu, a dormant volcano at the center of the island, is a distinctive landmark and a popular spot for hiking and panoramic views.
- Luxury Resorts: Bora Bora is home to several world-class luxury resorts, known for their exceptional service, amenities, and stunning locations. These resorts offer a secluded and indulgent getaway for travelers seeking a high-end and pampering experience.
Unique Places in Bora Bora
Bora Bora is known for its stunning natural beauty and offers a plethora of unique places to visit. Here are some of the top unique places to visit in Bora Bora:
- Matira Beach: This is one of the most famous beaches in Bora Bora and is known for its pristine white sand and clear turquoise waters. It’s a perfect spot for swimming, sunbathing, and snorkeling, and offers stunning sunset views over the lagoon.
- Coral Gardens: Coral Gardens is a popular snorkeling spot where you can observe colorful corals, tropical fish, and other marine life up close. It’s a unique underwater world that offers an unforgettable snorkeling experience.
- Shark and Ray Snorkel Safari: Bora Bora is known for its abundant marine life, and a unique experience is to take a shark and ray snorkel safari. You can snorkel in the open ocean and encounter blacktip reef sharks, lemon sharks, and stingrays in their natural habitat, accompanied by experienced guides.
- Bora Bora Lagoonarium: This is a unique marine sanctuary where you can swim with a variety of marine life, including turtles, rays, sharks, and colorful fish. It offers a chance to observe and interact with these creatures in a controlled environment and learn about the local marine ecosystem.
- Anau Cultural Center: A unique place where you can learn about the rich Polynesian culture and history of Bora Bora. The center showcases traditional crafts, artifacts, and exhibits that highlight the local culture, including dance performances and demonstrations of traditional activities such as weaving and woodcarving.
- Maohi Nui Botanical Garden: The Maohi Nui Botanical Garden is a unique garden that showcases the diverse flora and fauna of Bora Bora and the wider Polynesian region. You can explore the garden’s trails and learn about the unique plant species, medicinal plants, and cultural uses of various plants in Polynesian culture.
These are just a few examples of the unique places to visit in Bora Bora. The island offers a range of natural, cultural, and adventurous experiences that make it a truly special destination for travelers seeking a one-of-a-kind experience.
Things to Do in Bora Bora
Bora Bora, known for its stunning beauty and clear turquoise waters, offers a plethora of fun activities for visitors to enjoy. Here are some fun things to do in Bora Bora:
- Water Sports: A paradise for water sports enthusiasts. Indulge in a wide range of activities such as snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, paddleboarding, jet-skiing, and parasailing. The crystal-clear waters of the lagoon provide endless opportunities for aquatic adventures.
- Island Tours: Explore the beauty of Bora Bora by taking a guided island tour. You can go on a 4×4 safari tour to discover the lush landscapes, visit local villages, and learn about the island’s history and culture. You can also take a boat tour around the lagoon, visit nearby motus (islets), and enjoy panoramic views of the island.
- Sunset Cruise: Witness the breathtaking beauty of Bora Bora’s sunsets with a romantic sunset cruise. Sail on a traditional Polynesian outrigger canoe or a luxury catamaran and watch the sun dip below the horizon while enjoying the stunning views of the lagoon and surrounding islands.
- Romantic Dinner: Bora Bora is known for its romantic ambiance, and a special dinner with your loved one can be a memorable experience. Enjoy a romantic candlelit dinner on the beach, in an overwater bungalow, or at a fine-dining restaurant with gourmet Polynesian cuisine and stunning lagoon views.
- Cultural Experiences: Immerse yourself in the local Polynesian culture by taking part in cultural experiences. You can learn traditional Polynesian dance, try your hand at weaving, learn about the art of tattooing, and participate in a traditional Polynesian feast called “fei” where you can taste local delicacies.
- Relaxation: Bora Bora is also a place to simply relax and unwind. You can indulge in a spa treatment at one of the luxurious resorts, lounge on the pristine beaches, or simply soak in the stunning views of the lagoon and Mount Otemanu from the comfort of your overwater bungalow.
- Helicopter Tour: For an exhilarating experience, take a helicopter tour over Bora Bora and enjoy breathtaking aerial views of the island, its lagoon, and surrounding motus. It’s a unique way to see the beauty of Bora Bora from a different perspective.
These are just a few examples of the fun things to do in Bora Bora. The island offers a wide range of activities and experiences that cater to different interests and preferences, ensuring a memorable and enjoyable trip for all visitors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the resort in Couples Retreat real?
The resort is a very real place located in Bora Bora. The name of the resort is actually the St. Regis Bora Bora Resort in French Polynesia.
How safe is Bora Bora?
Bora Bora is only 12 square miles with a population of about 1,000 people. Bora Bora has very low crime levels making it one of the safest holiday destinations in the world.
And That’s a Wrap!
Bora Bora is a dream destination that offers an unparalleled tropical paradise experience. With its pristine beaches, crystal-clear lagoon, lush landscapes, and unique overwater bungalows, Bora Bora is a place that captures the imagination of travelers seeking a once-in-a-lifetime getaway.
From water sports to island tours, sunset cruises to romantic dinners, and cultural immersion to helicopter tours, the island offers a diverse range of activities and experiences to suit various interests and preferences. Visiting the Couples Retreat filming location in Bora Bora is an opportunity to create lasting memories in a breathtakingly beautiful and serene setting. So, if you’re seeking a tropical paradise getaway like no other, Bora Bora should definitely be on your bucket list.