The popular Netflix series Ozark ticks all the boxes when it comes to drama, intrigue, violence, questionable morals, and more. Each episode sees the family get deeper and deeper into the world of crime they are so desperate to get out of. Just when they think they are getting out, they get sucked in further. So where was Ozark filmed? The name implies that it’s filmed in Missouri but it’s not.
Where Was Ozark Filmed?
Ozark, the acclaimed Netflix original drama series starring Jason Bateman and Laura Linney, was filmed in several locations throughout Georgia.
The interiors of the Byrdes’ home and the Navarro cartel offices were filmed on a set built at Eagle Rock Studios in Norcross. Exterior scenes featuring the family’s lake home were shot at Lake Allatoona, just outside of the nearby town of Acworth.
Ozark filming locations with scenes featuring city streets and landmarks were filmed at locations in and around Atlanta, including downtown Decatur. Other notable filming locations include Peachtree City, Buford Dam Park, Stone Mountain Park near Lithonia, and Hard Labor Creek State Park in Rutledge. The show was also shot extensively in the small town of LaFayette, located less than an hour south of Atlanta.
In addition to Georgia, Ozark also filmed in Chicago, Illinois, and a few other locations in the United States. Scenes featuring Mexico were actually shot in Spain.
What is Ozark About?
Ozark is an American crime drama set in the Missouri Ozarks. The show follows Marty Byrde, a financial adviser who moves his family to the Ozarks after becoming involved with a Mexican drug cartel. Along with his wife Wendy and their two children, Marty has to navigate the dangerous criminal underworld while trying to keep his family safe.
The show is filled with suspense, drama and a few lighthearted comedic moments. It is one of the most highly acclaimed shows on Netflix since its debut in 2017.
The Cast of Ozark
The cast of Ozark includes:
- Jason Bateman as Marty Byrde
- Laura Linney as Wendy Byrde
- Sofia Hublitz as Charlotte Byrde
- Skylar Gaertner as Jonah Byrde
- Julia Garner as Ruth Langmore
- Janet McTeer as Helen Pierce
Other actors include Esai Morales, Jordana Spiro, Peter Mullan, and Lisa Emery.
Who Directed Ozark?
The first two seasons of Ozark were directed by Jason Bateman and Andrew Bernstein. Other directors for the show include Alik Sakharov, Ellen Kuras, and Anthony Hemingway.
Ozark has received numerous awards and nominations. It won two Emmys for Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series, one for Andrew Bernstein’s episode “Tonight We Improvise” in 2018 and another for Jason Bateman’s episode “The Precious Blood of Jesus” in 2019. The show also won a Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series, Drama in 2020 and was nominated for two more Golden Globe Awards.
More about Netflix: Who Owns Netflix? Official Breakdown of Stakeholders
Fun Facts About Ozark
- Ozarks production team learned how to launder money from the FBI
- Julia Garner (Ruth Langmore) had to get a hand double to do a scene where she picks up a mouse and drops it in a glass. She hates rodents and was on the verge of a full-blown panic attack when trying to do the scene
- A real-life robber hid out in the Ozarks
- According to experts, the money laundering schemes are both plausible and creative
- In the beginning, both Jason Bateman and Laura Linney were not interested in doing a series when the script came to them
Other Netflix Studios Shows and Their Film Locations
What is Georgia Famous For?
I don’t know about you but when I think of Georgia, I think of peaches. Isn’t Georgia the peach state? So let me take a stab at what Georgia is famous for (pardon the pun).
The Cherokee written alphabet was invented in Georgia. It’s also the home of Martin Luther King. Stone Mountain Park is the most visited place in Georgia. It’s also known for pecans, peanuts, and Coca Cola.
Unique Places in Georgia
Here are a few places to check out in the “peach state:”
- Rock City
- Hike to Brasstown Bald – the highest point in Georgia
- Start/finish a hike on the Appalachian Trail
- Check out Octoberfest in Helen, GA
- Watch a Cabbage Patch Kid be born at Babyland General Hospital
- Visit the Shri Swaminarayan Mandir
- Go to an Atlanta Braves game
Some of these places you won’t find on a typical vacation but they are worth considering.
Can You Visit the Set of Ozark?
You may be disappointed that you can’t actually visit the set in the Ozarks but there are places you can visit that were used in the production of the series such as:
- The Silver Skillet in Atlanta’s midtown area was a diner used in Season 2 and is still there today.
- The Starlight Drive-In located in southeast Atlanta is one of the last remaining drive-ins.
- The Missouri Bell Casino used a real riverboat at Stone Mountain Park.
- These are just a few places that will hopefully give you that Ozark feel you’re craving.
Things to Do in Georgia
If you are not into seeing unusual places and things, the list below may be a little more to your taste:
- Georgia Aquarium
- Coca-Cola tour
- See a live broadcast at the CNN studios
- Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site
- Delta Flight Museum
- Pine Mountain Wild Animal Safari
- Callaway Gardens
- Savannah Ghost Tour
There are a few unusual places on this list as well namely the Savannah Ghost Tour. That’s probably not something you see everyday.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Ozarks house located?
The house is located on Gaines Ferry Road in Flowery Branch, Georgia.
Where is the Langmore cabin in Ozark?
The lodge is actually located on Lake Allatoona at the Little River Marina. The Little River Grill was a closed business at the start of production. It was purchased for filming and is still there.
Why is Ozark filmed in Georgia?
Georgia provided generous tax breaks that were not available in Missouri. The show recreated Missouri’s Lakes of the Ozarks in Georgia as well as meticulously designed sets and sound stages.
Even if you don’t plan to visit any of the Ozark locations, there’s still plenty to do and see in Georgia that range from the weird to the wonderful.
Have you ever spent any time in Georgia? Did you see anything you’d like to share with us?