Free Guy was finally released in August 2021 after a few hiccups. This is a fun, light-hearted movie that relies heavily on visual effects and animation. The actor who plays the main character is perfect for this role. So where was Free Guy filmed? Not everything is computerized. There are actual filming locations for this movie. But let’s check out the story first.
Where Was Free Guy Filmed?
Free guy was filmed in three main locations: Boston, Massachusetts; Los Angeles, California; and Vancouver, British Columbia. The majority of the film was shot on location in Boston with a few scenes being shot in LA and Vancouver.
Filming began in August 2019 and wrapped up November of that year. Scenes were also filmed at the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston and at the Fox Studio Lot in Los Angeles. The cast and crew endured hot summer temperatures, rain showers, and a snow flurry to complete the film.
And let’s not forget that there were a lot of visual effects and animation in this movie as well.
Full List of Free Guy Filming Locations
- Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
- Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Revere, Massachusetts, USA
- Weymouth, Massachusetts, USA
- 74 Concord St., Framingham, Massachusetts, USA (Bank)
- Paramount Studios – 5555 Melrose Avenue, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA (Additional photography)
- Liberty Square, Boston, Massachusetts, USA (bank exterior)
- Post Office Square, Boston, Massachusetts, USA (street scenes)
- Fan Pier Park, Boston, Massachusetts, USA (ice cream scene)
- Revere Beach, Revere, Massachusetts, USA (beach scenes)
- 606 Congress St, Boston, Massachusetts, USA (Antwan’s office was filmed in the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel, with Seaport World Trade Center Boston visible out the window)
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA (Point Park & Downtown)
- Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Los Angeles, California, USA
- California, USA
- Framingham, Massachusetts, USA
- Vancouver, BC Canada
What was Free Guy All About?
Free Guy is an action-adventure comedy starring Ryan Reynolds as a non-player character (NPC) in an open world video game. After realizing the world he lives in is just a game, he comes up with a plan to take control of his destiny and save the day. He teams up with an unlikely ally, a mysterious stranger played by Jodie Comer, to save the world. Along the way they encounter a motley crew of characters and face off against Antoine, a powerful villain.
The Cast of Free Guy
The Free Guy cast is led by Ryan Reynolds, who stars as the main character.
Other main actors include:
- Jodie Comer
- Taika Waititi
- Joe Keery
- Lil Rel Howery
- Utkarsh Ambudkar
- and Camille Kostek.
The film also features some cameo appearances including Jake Johnson and Jeffrey Dean Morgan.
Who Directed Free Guy?
Shawn Levy directed Free Guy. His previous works include the hit Netflix series Stranger Things and Night at the Museum movies. He also produced Real Steel, Date Night, and Cheaper by the Dozen. With his impressive background in comedy, he was the perfect choice for directing this out-of-the-box action-comedy.
Did Free Guy Receive Any Awards?
Yes, Free Guy was nominated for two Academy Awards, Best Visual Effects and Best Original Score. The visual effects were nothing short of spectacular and the original score by Christopher Lennertz and Henry Jackman was a great addition to the movie.
In addition, Free Guy was also nominated for six Saturn Awards including Best Science Fiction Film Release and Best Actor for Ryan Reynolds. Though it didn’t win any awards, the nominations prove that Free Guy was a hit with audiences and critics alike.
Free Guy Box Office Details
- Free Guy Film Budget: $120,000,000
- Opening weekend: $28,365,416
- Gross (US & Canada): $121,626,598
- Gross (World): $331,526,598
Fun Facts About Free Guy
- Ryan Reynolds chose the soundtrack.
- Joe Keery, who plays the genius video game developer Keys, says that he was very nervous acting alongside Ryan Reynolds and Chris Evans.
- Ryan Reynolds changed up the character he was playing. Originally, the character, Guy, was written as cynical. Reynolds changed him to be hopelessly optimistic.
- Reynolds is also responsible for adding the ‘Dude’ character to the movie.
- The movie was inspired by the popular game Grand Theft Auto.
- Director Shawn Levy, finished filming Free Guy in only 6 months.
- Ryan Reynolds wore a special suit so he could appear onscreen as a computer-generated character.
- There were over 5,000 extras used in one of the movie’s scenes.
What is Boston Famous For?
The city of Boston is known for its rich history, culture, and innovation. It’s one of the oldest cities in the United States, founded in 1630. Some popular attractions include The Freedom Trail, Fenway Park (home to Major League Baseball’s Red Sox), and the famous “Cheers” bar.
The city is also home to many famous universities, such as Harvard, MIT and Boston University. With its vibrant nightlife and food scene, it’s the perfect city for any traveler looking for a good time.
Unique Places in Boston
It’s no secret that Boston is famous for its history. But it also has a few unusual places to visit. Here are a few suggestions for you:
- The Mapparium – a stained-glass globe that is three stories high
- Granary Burying Ground with graves dating back to the 1630s
- Museum of Bad Art in Somerville, four miles outside of Boston
- The Harvard Bridge, which connects Boston and Cambridge together, is measured in “smoots.” The smoot measurement started as a joke in 1958. The story goes that there was a student at MIT named Oliver Smoot who wanted to get into a fraternity. In order to pledge, he had to lie down on the bridge and measure the length of the bridge using his height.
Things to Do in Boston
There are a ton of cool things to do in Boston. What you do will depend on how much time you have. Here are a few ideas for you:
- Go to a baseball game at Fenway Park
- Walk the Freedom Trail
- Explore the neighborhoods of the North End which is also where all the great Italian restaurants are
- Take a whale watching cruise
- Visit the New England Aquarium
- Visit Faneuil Hall
- Take a cruise on the Boston Tea Party Ship
The Boston Tea Party Ship has live actors and interactive exhibits. You’ll learn all about the famous Boston Tea Party.
Frequently Asked Questions
What beach was Free Guy filmed on?
Free Guy was filmed on 606 Congress Street, 74 Concord Street (Bank), Boston, Fan Pier Park, Liberty Square, Paramount Pictures Studios, Post Office Square, Revere, Revere Beach, Weymouth, and Worcester.
Does Free Guy take place in Seattle?
A map of Free City (the city where the game in the film takes place in) is actually a map of Portland, Oregon. The “stash house” is shown as being located in Portland’s Forest Park.
Being a New Englander myself, I have to say that I love Boston. It’s such a fun city to explore any time of year. Yes, it’s my personal and biased opinion. It’s a beautiful city no matter what time of year you visit. But, be warned. Winter weather can be quite severe. Frigid temperatures and snow is typical in winter months.
Have you ever been to Boston? What did you think of the city?
Other Films With Canadian Filming Locations
Here are a few other movies that were filmed in Canada. Can you guess which one was also shot in Vancouver?
Director: Shawn Levy
Date Created: 2021-08-13 17:00