The Revenant film was released in 2015 to critical acclaim. It is partly based on Michael Punke’s 2002 novel, The Revenant, and is inspired by true events. But where was The Revenant filmed? By watching the movie, you might guess the midwest. That’s partly correct. But let’s start with the story first.
Where Was The Revenant Filmed?
The Revenant was filmed in Canada and the U.S. states of Montana, Wyoming and Utah. The movie was primarily shot at Alberta’s Kananaskis Country Provincial Park in Canmore, near Calgary, as well as locations in British Columbia (specifically around Fort Nelson).
Additional filming occurred in Mexico City, California and Santa Fe, New Mexico, as well as in Montana’s Glacier National Park and in the snow-covered forests of Alberta.
Full List of The Revenant Film Locations
- Mammoth Studios – 2880 Underhill Avenue, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
- Canmore, Alberta, Canada (Fort Kiowa)
- Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada
- Libby, Montana, USA (waterfall scene at Kootenai Falls)
- Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina (final fight between Glass and Fitzgerald)
- White Mountains, Arizona, USA
- Sierra Madre del Sur, Mexico
- Sierra Madre Occidental, Mexico
- San Francisco Peaks, Arizona, USA
- Goodstoney Nation, Alberta, Canada (First Nations attack)
- Fortress Mountain, Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada (Glass chasing Fitzgerald)
- Durango, Mexico
What Was The Revenant All About?
The Revenant takes place in Missouri in the 1820’s. The story centers around a frontiersman, Hugh Glass, who has to fight for survival while out on a fur trading expedition. He is unceremoniously left for dead after being mauled by a bear. His hunting team abandons him and he must use his survival skills to get back home while trying to avoid a confrontation with the native Indian tribes.
Like our Facebook page for more great content!
Hugh Glass was indeed a real person. He was an American frontiersman born in 1793 to Irish parents in Pennsylvania He died at the age of 50 in 1833. He became an American folk hero after surviving a bear attack while out on a hunting expedition. Two men from his party agreed to stay behind and dig a grave for him since they thought he would die. Instead they took his belongings and left him for dead.
Who Was In The Cast of The Revenant?
The Revenant stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Hugh Glass, Tom Hardy as John Fitzgerald, Domhnall Gleeson as Captain Andrew Henry, Will Poulter as Bridger, Paul Anderson as Andrew G. Hawkwood and Lukas Haas as Jones. The film also features Brendan Fletcher, Brad Carter, Kristoffer Joner and Joshua Burge in supporting roles.
Who Directed The Revenant?
The movie was directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu and produced by Steve Golin, Arnon Milchan and Keith Redmon. Alejandro G. Iñárritu is a Mexican filmmaker that is mostly known for making psychological drama films. His films include 21 Grams, Babel, Birdman, and Bardo.
Did The Revenant Receive Any Awards?
The movie was one of the most successful Westerns ever made. It won an impressive three Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor in a Leading Role (DiCaprio), Best Cinematography and Best Sound Mixing.
Additionally, it was nominated for four other Academy Awards, including Best Original Screenplay. The Revenant was also nominated for five Golden Globes and six BAFTA Awards.
The Revenant was a box office success, grossing over $532 million worldwide against its reported production budget of $135 million.
The cameras used in the production of this film were the Arri Alexa 65, Arri Alexa XT M, and the Arri Alexa XT. Lenses used were Arri Prime 65 lenses, Leica Summilux-C and Zeiss Master Prime lenses. Aerial shots were filmed using Red Dragon, Angenieux Optimo lenses.
Fun Facts About The Revenant
- The film was shot chronologically and took 80 days to make.
- When production got behind schedule, the team had to relocate to Argentina for similar weather conditions.
- Even though Leonardo DiCaprio is a vegetarian, he chose to eat a raw piece of bison’s liver because the gelatinous imitation looked too fake.
- The bear was created by using two stuntmen that wore blue suits with a bear head. The bear movements were painted in by the CGI guys.
- Sean Penn was originally the first choice to play the role of John Fitzgerald but due to scheduling conflicts had to drop out.
- This movie is also reminiscent of the 1971 film, Man in the Wilderness starring Richard Harris. His character was also mauled and left for dead.
Can You Visit the Set of The Revenant?
There’s no set to visit but you can certainly visit the locations where the film was made. Most of the filming takes place in Alberta, Canada. Other locations include New Mexico, Wyoming, California, Montana, and Argentina.
What is Alberta, Canada Famous For?
Canada has a large variety of wildlife including elk, wolves, caribou, grizzly bears, and black bears. It’s the perfect place for people who love camping and the outdoors. There’s plenty of hiking, fishing, swimming, canoeing, kayaking, skiing, and snowboarding to take advantage of.
Alberta contains the third largest oil reserves. Most of it comes from the Athabasca Oil Sands. It is home to some pretty amazing national parks and beautiful countryside. The two largest cities in Albert are Calgary and Edmonton. Beef and bison are the signature foods in Alberta.
Unique Places in Alberta, Canada
If you prefer a vacation that’s a little unusual, here are a few unique places to visit in Alberta:
- Bankhead Ghost Town
- Gopher Hole Museum
- Red Rock Coulee
- Neon Sign Museum
- Burmis Tree
- Majorville Cairn and Medicine Wheel
Did you know that there’s also an underwater ghost town? The only way to visit this particular ghost town is with scuba gear. So if that’s your thing, check out Lake Minnewanka Underwater Ghost Town.
Things to Do in Alberta, Canada
If you are looking for tourist attractions in Alberta, one of the most popular places is the Banff National Park. Here are a few other attractions to check out:
- Icefields Parkway and the Columbia Icefield
- Lake Louise Ski Resort
- Waterton Lakes National Park
- Jasper National Park
- Sunshine Village Ski Resort
The West Edmonton Mall is more than a shopping center. It also has a waterpark, mini golf, ice rink, bowling alley, mirror maze, movie theaters, and more.
And for the cowboys, check out the annual Calgary Stampede. This 10-day event is held every July. It includes rodeo attractions, country music, cultural exhibits, and more.
There’s plenty to do and see in Alberta especially if you love the outdoors and want to see The Revenant filming locations. Weather will indeed be a factor for any travel plans you make. If you love the warm weather, plan to visit between June and September. Since this is the most popular time to visit Alberta, it’s also the most expensive time. Airfare and accommodation prices will be at their peak.