As romantic comedies go, The Proposal was a pretty typical one. Featuring two beloved stars in the cast, it was a recipe for success. It leaves you with that “feel good” feeling when you leave the cinema. It has drama, comedy, conflict, and a happy ending. Just what you’d expect from a light-hearted rom-com. But where was The Proposal filmed? It is set in New York and filmed not too far from there. But let’s start with the storyline.
What Was The Proposal All About?
It’s the unlikely love story of Andrew Paxton and Margaret Tate. Margaret, a snobby executive editor from Canada, faces deportation to her native country.
In order to stay in the United States and keep her job, Margaret convinces Andrew, whom she has just met, to pose as her fiance. As they start to get to know each other, they both realize that the proposal is more than just an act. It develops into a real relationship between two people who were not looking for love.
Who Was In The Cast of The Proposal?
The main cast stars:
- Sandra Bullock
- Ryan Reynolds
- Mary Steenburgen
- Craig T. Nelson
- Betty White
Other actors include Denis O’Hare, Malin Akerman, Oscar Nunez, Aasif Mandvi, Michael Nouri, Michael Mosley, and more.
Who Directed The Proposal?
The Proposal was directed by Anne Fletcher, renowned for her work in romantic comedies such as 27 Dresses and The Guilt Trip. She also helmed the hit action movie Step Up, which starred Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan.
Where Was The Proposal Filmed?
The Proposal was filmed primarily in Massachusetts. Most of the exterior scenes were shot in Plymouth, Massachusetts while some interior scenes were filmed at Vancouver Film Studios.
The mansion used for Margaret’s house is actually located on North Street in historic downtown Plymouth. It is a beautiful example of a colonial Federalist-style home. The house on the beach where Andrew and Margaret share their romantic moment was located in White Rock, British Columbia which overlooks the Salish Sea.
Did The Proposal Receive Any Awards?
Though the movie failed to win any awards, it received several nominations, including Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy, Satellite Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy (for Bullock), and Satellite Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy (for Reynolds).
The Proposal was also nominated for a People’s Choice Awards Favorite Comedy Movie Award and a Teen Choice Awards Comedy Movie Award.
The movie runs for 1 hour and 48 minutes (108 minutes). It was filmed using an Arricam LT camera with Hawk V-Series lenses. It also used a Moviecam Compact with Hawk V-Series Lenses.
Fun Facts About The Proposal
- Betty White almost turned down the movie because it would keep her away from her dog for too long. Filming would take ten weeks.
- Julia Roberts was the first choice to play the lead role of Margaret but she refused because she didn’t want to take a pay cut.
- Sandra Bullock was on the fence about the film until the production team offered up Ryan Reynolds to play opposite her.
- The naked scene took 12 takes and eventually they both abandoned the fig leaves they were given just to get the job done.
- The movie was the highest grossing romantic comedy in 2009.
Can You Visit the Set of The Proposal?
Most of the movie was filmed in Massachusetts but there is no actual set to visit there. The fictitious family home in Alaska actually belongs to the Kaneb family. It’s located in Manchester-By-The-Sea, Massachusetts.
What is Massachusetts Famous For?
Massachusetts is steeped in history dating back to the colonial period. There are plenty of historical places to visit including the Plymouth Plantation which is a living museum that is a recreation of the 17th century village.
Massachusetts is also known for its many colleges including the Ivy League college, Harvard. In fact, Massachusetts has the highest percentage of residents with a college education in the nation.
Unique Places in Massachusetts
If you enjoy the weird and wonderful check out a few suggestions below:
- Echo Bridge, Newton: this bridge was built in 1877 and is known for its incredible acoustic qualities. Sound produced under the bridge can echo up to 25 times.
- Martini Junction, Needham: a model train village located in Needham Forest
- All Saints Way, Boston: a spiritual alleyway between 4 and 8 Battery Street
- The Museum, Somerville: this is the world’s tiniest museum. It’s only 8” deep and 16” long. There’s no line and admission is free.
- Rockport Paper House, Rockport: this house is made almost entirely of paper.
Things to Do in Massachusetts
If you love history, there are some pretty cool attractions in Massachusetts. Here are a few ideas for you:
- The Freedom Trail: take a walk along old colonial streets that include 16 monuments, graveyards, and Faneuil Hall.
- Minute Man National Historic Park: this is the route taken by the British that started the American Revolution.
- Sturbridge Village: this replica of the 19th century village has homes, farms, shops and mills. There are also actors and actresses costumed in period clothing that will entertain you with routine life in the 1800s.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you drive to Sitka Alaska?
Sitka Alaska is accessible only by air or water. It is not on the road system. Alaska Airlines offer daily flights to Sitka from Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Seattle.
Massachusetts has a lot to offer for anyone vacationing there. Boston probably has most of the best attractions. But there’s also Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket. If you love seafood, plan a trip during the summer. Lobster and clams are fresh off the boats so you won’t be disappointed.