Spongebob Squarepants is a fan favourite for most people including me. The show has been around for years, and generations have enjoyed the lovable yellow sponge. However, in this article, we dive a little deeper into the darkness and see who killed Mr Krabs, what Killed Mr Krabs and most importantly how did Mr Krabs die or did Spongebob kill Mr Krabs? Let’s dive in!
Now before you freak out and try to hunt down any sort of ‘who killed mr krabs episode’ on the internet. Let me reassure you that there is no such episode called ‘how did mr krabs die and who killed him’ nor any sort of official Nickelodeon animation of this nonsense.
This internet viral rumor is based on a mock-trial called The Trial of Spongebob Squarepants which was a school class assignment where the class was divided into teams of lawyers, and each team were assigned as either the prosecution (who want to prove SpongeBob is guilty) or the defense (who want to prove that he might be innocent).
I’ll explain more about the school class assignment and how you can do this for your own classroom a bit later, but for now let’s play along with this mock-trial and reveal what killed Mr Krabs.
What Killed Mr Krabs
Mr Krabs (from Spongebob Squarepants) was found dead inside of the Krusty Krab restaurant. His throat had been cut (do crabs have throats? lol).
How Did Mr Krabs Die?
The coroner concluded Mr Krabs was found with a serious cut to his neck and that the wound on Mr. Krabs’ throat was caused by a metal spatula found next to the body.
The above hilarious mockup crime scene photo shows that the spatula indeed had several sets of fingerprints on it; these also included Mr Krabs, SpongeBobs and Squidward.
Now that we know how Mr Krabs died, let’s jump into the MOST important question to this mock-trial and that is who killed Mr Krabs.
Who Killed Mr Krabs?
So who killed Mr Krabs? The four main suspects in the case were SpongeBob, Squidward Plankton and the fourth was Patrick!
The Mr Krabs Murder Scene Synopsis
The city of Bikini Bottom has been rocked with news of the death of Mr. Krabs, owner of the Krusty Krab restaurant. From the moment the under-water police discovered the gruesome scene, they suspected foul play.
At first, they thought the killer might be Sheldon Plankton, owner of the Chum Bucket restaurant and long-time rival of Mr. Krabs. But no physical evidence could be tied to Plankton.
As the investigation progressed, more and more of the evidence pointed to one of Mr. Krabs’ employees, none other than SpongeBob SquarePants himself.
SpongeBob insists that he’s innocent. The authorities don’t buy Mr. SquarePants’s claims, but he has found a team of defence lawyers who do. Some of the evidence does, in fact, seem to indicate that SpongeBob’s story might actually be true.
Whatever really happened, this is shaping up to be the trial of the underwater century!
You can make up your mind on who killed Mr Krabs by reading the full trial of Spongebob Squarepants. I do think Plankton was acting a little too fishy, but hey, that’s my opinion.
Who Killed Mr Krabs Synopsis Video
Here is a quick video synopsis from the Murder Under the Sea: SpongeBob SquarePants Murder Trial.
Trial of Spongebob Squarepants
As mentioned above, this all started from a school class assignment where the class was divided into teams of lawyers, and each team was assigned as either the prosecution (who want to prove SpongeBob is guilty) or the defense (who want to prove that he might be innocent).
Below is a breakdown of the crime scene evidence, suspect evidence and the witness testimony.
Who Killed Mr Krabs: Crime Scene Evidence
Here is a breakdown of the crime scene evidence:
- Mr. Krabs was found dead inside of the Krusty Krab restaurant. His throat had been cut. The coroner concluded that the wound on Mr. Krabs’ throat was caused by a metal spatula.
- The floor in the Krusty Krab was covered with Mr. Krabs’ blood, but it was also very slick with cooking grease – several of the crime scene investigators slipped and fell during the investigation.
- SpongeBob’s footprints were found all over the greasy floor around Mr. Krab’s body, along with the footprints of many other people. His footprints were NOT found in the blood puddle.
- There was no sign of a break-in at the restaurant.
- There was a tiny cut on Mr. Krab’s finger, but it was partially healed. Investigators concluded that this cut happened several weeks before Mr. Krab’s death
Suspect Evidence: (Plankton, SpongeBob, Squidward & Patrick)
- Plankton has a long history of trying to sabotage Mr. Krabs’ restaurant and steal his secret recipes
- Inside SpongeBob’s home, investigators found a spatula with traces of Mr. Krabs’ blood on it. The spatula handle had SpongeBob’s fingerprints, as well as Mr. Krabs’
- Three days after Mr. Krabs’ death, Plankton began selling a crab burger recipe on his website, www.chumbucket.ocean. The recipe was very similar to Mr. Krabs’ Krabby Patty recipe, but it wasn’t exactly the same.
- During a search of Plankton’s home, investigators did NOT find the Krabby Patty recipe or any spatulas.
- SpongeBob was the only person other than Mr. Krabs who had keys to the restaurant and knew the combination to the safe.
- Two days after Mr. Krabs’ death, Plankton went to the bank and paid the remainder SpongeBob’s pineapple house loan. Plankton says he did this out of the goodness of his heart.
- Sandy testified that SpongeBob was desperately in need of money because the bank was going to repossess his pineapple house. She said SpongeBob had recently asked Mr. Krabs for a raise. Mr. Krabs denied him, stating that the business wasn’t doing very well and there wasn’t enough money to give anyone a raise. SpongeBob was pretty upset.
- Patrick said that SpongeBob told him, “Mr. Krabs is a greedy pig. He’s gonna wish he’d given me a raise!”
- SpongeBob said that he went to the Krusty Krab restaurant the morning of Mr. Krabs’s death in order to beg one last time for a raise. When Mr. Krabs denied him again, SpongeBob told him that he quit. Then he left and went home to his pineapple. He said he believed that Mr. Krabs would have a difficult time replacing him and that he’d regret losing his best employee.
- Squidward saw SpongeBob enter the Krusty Krab restaurant two hours before Mr. Krabs was found dead. An hour later, he heard Mr. Krabs screaming loudly. After waiting a while, Squidward went into the restaurant to investigate, and that’s when he found the dead body.
- Plankton said that the recipe he started selling on his website was one that he created with the help of his computerized wife, Karen. He affirmed that he did not steal Mr. Krabs’ Krabby Patty recipe and that he did not kill Mr. Krabs.
- Patrick said he went to the Krusty Krab four hours before Mr. Krabs was found dead. The restaurant was locked, so Patrick knocked on the door. Mr. Krabs came out looking very upset. He told Patrick that the Krusty Krab was closed and that he might never sell another Krabby Patty again.
- SpongeBob testified that two weeks before Mr. Krabs’ death, Mr. Krabs accidentally cut his finger on a spatula. SpongeBob offered to take it home to get it clean, but then he forgot to bring it back to the restaurant.
- SpongeBob has worked at the Krusty Krab restaurant for years
- In all that time, he has never received a raise
- Mr. Krab’s safe was found open and the recipe for his Krabby Patty was NOT found in it
- The Krusty Krab cash register was completely empty
- There was a spatula found next to the body. It was covered in Mr. Krab’s blood, but so was everything else. The spatula had several sets of fingerprints including SpongeBob’s, Squidward’s and Mr. Krab’s
- The Coroner concluded that Mr. Krabs had bled to death, but the victim also had signs of blunt-force trauma to the back of the head
Now that you have all the evidence and details of the trial of Spongebob Squarepants.. who killed Mr Krabs? Is SpongeBob guilty of killing Mr. Krabs?
If you would like a copy of the PDF from the the trial of Spongebob Squarepants, click on the below image for a copy.
And if you are a teacher looking for a fun class assignment, have a look at the trial of SpongeBob Squarepants as it looks to be a great way to have students engage with each other.
In Conclusion.. Is SpongeBob Guilty?
This is up to you! There is no verdict to this case as it was a simple assignment that a school teacher did with their class. In my opinion, SpongeBob is NOT guilty and I think it was Plankton!
How about making a script?
If you want to add another level to this assignment or want to take this who killed mr krabs to a different angle – write a script for the trial! I actually think this would be pretty awesome and would possible add to this viral element.
Here are some screenwriting resources to get you started:
- 7 Essential Screenwriting Tips for Beginners
- What is a Slug Line: A Comprehensive Guide to Screenwriting Essentials
- Internal Conflict: Crafting EXCEPTIONAL internal conflict in your script
Random SpongeBob Squarepants Facts
To help you along with this hilarious mock trial, here are some facts about the gang at Bikini Bottom.
How old is Spongebob?
SpongeBob is 35 years old. SpongeBob was born on July 14, 1986. Meaning he’s now a whopping 36 years of age, soon to be 37!
How tall is SpongeBob?
SpongeBob is four inches tall! Both Patrick and SpongeBob are the same height. Squidward is a massive 10 inches, with Mr Krabs standing tall at 7 inches. SpongeBob is definitely one of the smallest works at the Krusty Krab.
What episode was Mr Krabs killed?
This wasn’t from an actual episode of Spongebob, but a mock trial called the trial of Spongebob Squarepants which was a real life school class assignment.
Who Actually Killed Mr Krabs?
There is no end result to this mock trial as it is simply a school assignment project that students discuss and render their opinion as part of the assignment.
Who is Mr Krabs?
Mr Krabs is a character in SpongeBob. He is a red crab who lives in an anchor. Mr Krabs lives in the anchor with his daughter Pearl, a whale. His full name is Eugene Harold Krabs, and he is the owner and founder of Krusty Krab and employs both SpongeBob and Squidward.