What is screenwriting software?
Screenwriting software is primarily software in which you can write your television, movie, radio and video games scripts.
A lot has changed over the years, no more manual typewriting or handwritten scripts bound by beige pieces of string.
We have kindly broken down each piece of software to help you with your deliberations – let’s have a look.
Probably our favourite (A little bit bias. Whoops). The free version is incredible. Fantastic for starting off as a screenwriter and understanding the key features. Celtx provides you with the best tools to develop your writing and produce excellent content.
- Free (Basic version) and Paid: ($9.99 per member per month if billed annually, or $14.99 billed monthly).
- Rich text editor module
- Work online or offline
- Tag elements within the script
- Cloud based
- Real time collaboration – this allows you to spare and edit in real time with writing partners, producers, directors and team members.
- Video production management tools
- Supports production calendars
Probably the most recognised screen writing software of them all. One of the most expensive, but for bloody good reason. This is the go to software for the big budget films.
It offers unlimited space, so there is no restriction on the number of projects you can work on at once. Although the cost is extortionate it makes up for this with the impeccable features.
- $249.99 for the full license and $99 per software update.
- Text to speech support
- Collaborate from afar – they offer remote collaborations from all over the world
- Automatic back up files
- 100’s of different templates
- Automatically formats to industry standard
Trelby is an open source screenwriting software that is completely free. Although it doesn’t have as many high spec features as Final Draft for example but for a beginner or indie filmmaker – it’s perfect!
- FREE 🙂
READ MORE: Seven top tips for a beginner screenwriter
Fade in. What the F%$K is that. Fade In is one of the most advanced software used by professionals writing for motion pictures, television, video games, the stage, radio, and more. It’s also one of the most affordable out of the whole lot, check out the key features below:
- Free for a limited time. Then you pay $79.99 life time cost.
- Image support
- Powerful writing tools
- Fully featured application interface
- An open file format
- Cloud storage
- Extensive font and Unicode support
“It is truly such a beautiful app. I have more genuine affection for it than almost any other: the way you love a favourite hand tool or kitchen knife.”
Michael Chabon – Novelist (Wonder Boys, Moonglow), screenwriter (Spider-Man 2) and showrunner (Star Trek: Picard).
We’d have to agree with Michael! It’s a fantastically smooth piece of screenwriting software. It’s user friendly interface is easy to navigate and you have access to the free version perfect for no to low budget filmmaking.
- Free, basic addition. Or, $49.99 full version.
- Design your own theme in the Pro version
- Track time – see how long you have spent developing each script: “Sprint mode”
- Free version contains an abundance of features – up to 5 templates.
- Regular updates – always improving the software
- A formatting mode that’s built in and automated
- The customer support is quick and efficient
Well not really a summary. Just a thought:
We recommend playing around with the free versions and get an understanding of what works for you, don’t rush in, as some are pretty expensive. Once the work starts flowing and you are progressing, then look to add the paid features. Happy typing.
This may help you… Seven top tips for a beginner screenwriter